Learn to use generators safely to prevent fires, carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and electrocution.
Generators can be helpful when the power goes out for an extended period of time. It is important to know how to use them safely to prevent fires, carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning and electrocution.
Purchasing and preparing to use a generator
- GeneratorPurchase one that has been approved by a nationally recognized testing agency such as Underwriter’s Laboratory (UL).
- Have a licensed electrician install a transfer switch. Never plug a generator directly into a wall outlet to avoid backfeeding which can electrocute utility workers.
- Read and follow the manufacturer’s instructions before you need to use the generator.
- Install working CO alarms on every level of the home.
Want more information? Contact South Shore Generator in Wareham, MA.